The RTE and ASP Validator Controls

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:26 AM
I would like to make the suggestion of adding a validation property with a metadata attribute.  If I understand this correctly, it will allow the RTE to be a target of validation controls.  The obvious target would be the Text properity.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.validationpropertyattribute.aspx

Developer
Aug 14, 2008 at 4:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up. There are additional challenges to overcome related to validation:
  1. Text property is refreshed "on demand" via a Javascript function so client side validation will need to account for that.
  2. Required validation, which is the validation most developers want with RTE, needs to take HTML markup into account. For instance should "<div></div>" pass required validation?
  3. Others... ???
Aug 24, 2008 at 4:16 AM
I do not have too much experience with web controls, most of what I have done is with user controls, so I may not be much of a help here... 

To your first point, if I read correctly, you are planning having the Text property update automatically.  As to the second, you could possibly have a second text value with all of the html stripped out and updated in the same way as the first.  Another, and probably better possibility would be to let people handle the validation themselves.  A regular expression validator could handle most things.  The last thing I could think of would be to set the validator up in the control (maybe one for each type??), if that is even possible. 
Developer
Aug 25, 2008 at 12:23 PM
Good points blovett. I guess we could quickly include the metadata attribute and then you can at least use a custom validator with the RTE.